Friday, March 19, 2010


I promised you I would show you what my new love, Craig, has given me. He has literally let me steal them away and I have gladly done it! I've always wanted to learn how to refinish furniture, and so the last couple of months, I have been on a hunt to get some good deals and finally finish the kids' rooms.
This bed is so awesome! When I went to look at it, the man told me it was his childhood bed and none of his children wanted it. I almost ran out of the house with it. I love it. I love how sturdy it is, and I love that it is all wood and, well, it is just a great bed! Headboard, footboard and side slats in almost perfect condition for $50.00. For a bed in the DC area, that's a steal!!!!
(The white dresser behind it, is also from Craigslist, but more on that one later!)

Here it is after sanding it down.....ready to be painted!
So, here are my gems!!!!
I've named them Mary Anne and Charlotte.

Here's why.....
The Huntley Furniture company was established in the late 1800's. It burned to the ground in the early 1950's. Thomasville Furniture company took over the name and still has a line of Huntley furniture. Everything I read said this stuff is good and to hang onto it, if you have it. Two twin maple beds with headboards and footboards, $50.00 each. I love them and they are going to be sooooo darling redone for the girl's room. Since they are from the same time Grandma Annie and Grandma Charlotte were born, that's why they are named such, in honor of the grandmas.
I bought wood appliques to put on them and they are going to be a shabby chic creamy color with a little distressing. Once again, all wood and sturdy!
And if my one car garage wasn't full enough, I found Bella. She is gorgeous! I am going to remake her into a wonderful piece for the girls. It's going to be hard to paint on her, as she is really pretty and detailed.
Drawers and cupboards to put treasures in! Since we have small bedrooms and no playroom, we have to store everything in the bedrooms. This will be perfect!
I love the curved wood!
I'm definitely keeping these handles!
PERFECT for all our jewels! And, if you know Eleanor, we have JEWELS!
Love this!
The only sad part, is that I am taking the glass off. I think for what I want to do with it, the glass needs to go. Even though it looks fabulous, I want open shelves so books and such are easy reach for little hands.
SO! Keep checking! I've already started on the beds!
Oh, yeah! And the grand total on her? $50.00!!!!
Thank you Craig! I L.O.V.E. Y.O.U!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Can't wait to see it when it's all done! You'll have to blog the process...I love seeing the unfinished become the finished! Yay for you and craig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them. Are you sure you want to take the glass out of bella? Are you Positively sure? Its such a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete