Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The beginning of Xander's Room Makeover.....


Last year we decided to move the girls out of the small bedroom and put them in the biggest bedroom which was being used as the playroom. It was a big undertaking, which resulted in 15 contractor bags being taken to the thrift store. Amazingly enough, no one has missed any of the toys!
So, Xander got the girls' room. We painted over the Laura Ashley Pink and made it into a nice desert sand color and then moved his stuff in and pretty much got busy and left it! It has been a long, hard road trying to get this house organized and decorated. Now that I have more energy and desire again, it is fun to think of things to do to the house. Nevertheless, his room has been window-treatment-less for months!!!!
So! My friend, Tammy, redid her sons room in navy, lime green and orange and gave me the extra Pottery Barn panel she bought for the room. She is amazing! She is literally one of the most talented people I know!
Xander already had a lime green butterfly chair and ottoman, so I took it and decided to make a valance for him.
Here's the window before.....
Then, my neighbor, Lawrence, gave me a cornice he made for his son's room. They decided they didn't like it and asked me if I wanted it...uh, yes! He is amazing at home improvement. I wish I had, in my whole body, half the talent he has in his little finger!

The end of the cornice broke, so I took wood glue and glued back together again.

So, I guess I could have gone out and bought a pattern on how to make a pleated curtain, but I am too cheap! So, I figured it out and did it myself! I decided to hang it with velcro on the inside of the cornice....as you can see, I made a huge mess while I was creating!
It was actually a lot easier than I thought! I just made 6 ten inch squares of both fabrics and sewed them together and then brought them together at the top and sewed double fold bias tape to hold it all together. The hard part was the lack of fabric. It was only one panel and I wanted to make a pillow too, so I had to be very careful about where I cut!
TADAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!
It made his blah, boring room so much better! I was excited, because I had enough fabric left over to make a pillow for his bed.
Before.....
After!
The best part of the whole project is that it was almost free! The only thing I bought were the brackets to hang the cornice board and the paint, which I will use in the rest of the room.
Stay tuned for the rest of the makeover!

1 comment: